Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mandy Jane Barrett is the first of we hope many artists to join the APE (art promoting the environment) ranks!




I want to introduce you to Mandy Jane Barrett a talented artist based in County Durham, England, a long time supporter of orangutans and a good friend of mine. 



The first print -  number 1 of a limited edition of only 50 - of her wonderful portrait 'Dignity' is currently being auctioned on Ebay in support of  the 2013 World Orangutan Day which is 19th August, and all money raised will go directly to the Orangutan Protection Foundation.

'Mandy strives to capture the expression of an animal, focussing on the eyes in particular. Colour, texture and structure of plants and animals fascinates and inspires her work. The crux of her art centres on highlighting the relationship that we humans have with the natural world. Nature is so fragile, and Mandy's technique truly reflects that in her paintings.'

To bid please follow the link below:





Here are some Q and A's to help you get to know her better.

Q: What medium do you prefer to work in?
A: I usually work in acrylic, watercolour or graphite.

Q: How do you decide which you're going to use? 
A: I tend to use graphite for preliminary sketches to plan a painting. I find myself using acrylic far more in the last couple of years. It dries quickly, as I'm too impatient to wait for some media to dry. It's so versatile and can be applied in different techniques, allowing me to try new things. I love the intensity of colour that can be achieved.

Q: Most of your work is of fauna and flora, what inspires you to pick up your brushes? 
A: I enjoy capturing the expression of an animal, tending to focus on the eyes in particular. Colour, texture and structure of plants and animals has me fascinated. I find myself wanting to paint dogs that have expressive eyes and textured coats such as lurchers or smooth dark coats with crisp highlights. I try to focus on the relationship that we humans have with the natural world. Nature is so fragile, I need to show that in my paintings.


Q: What won't you paint or draw?
A: I don't enjoy doing compositional pieces. I've tried one or two but find it frustrating having to fuss over getting two or more subjects to look as though they belong together on one canvas. I get preoccupied with the technical aspects which hampers my creativity and enjoyment. A while back I was asked to take a commission of a dog dressed up as a fairy! I prefer dogs in their natural state and know I would never be happy with the end result so I politely declined! As art is for leisure and pleasure for me I'm fortunate that I can say 'yes' to commissions that inspire me.

Q: What formal training have you had?
A: I started my art A level after school but had to leave when my Dad became ill. I worked in reprographics when I left school and trained in the more technical aspects of graphic art. Other than that I have taken one or two classes; I prefer reading about techniques and materials or just trying things out to learn from experience rather than being formally taught.
Q: Which artists do you admire?
A: I adore the work of Christophe Drochon; his hyper realism approach to studies of animals fascinates me. The way he captures light and detail is amazing. He inspired me to try painting on fibreboard.
In my teens I looked at a lot of surrealist artists work such as Dali (who didn't late 70's & early 80's?).

Q: Do you find it hard selling or handing over your work?
A: Frequently! I now keep a print if I can as I rarely used to keep any of my own work other than a digital photo for my own catalogue. For years my walls were virtually bare!

Q: What is your favourite colour?
A: Bright vibrant red. My entire wardrobe is built around co-ordinating with an accent of red. I love shades of red in nature; leaves in autumn or a puffin's beak and how a poppy at the side of the road catches the eye.

Q: What is your favourite animal to paint?
A:  Anything with a textured coat and expressive eyes; lurchers, terriers, cobs and, of course, orangutans.

Q: Do you have an exhibition running at the moment?
A:  A selection of limited editions prints are on show at Broom Mill, just outside of Bishop Auckland in County Durham.  My Facebook page has an album of photos.


Q: What's next? 
A: More animals, more work in acrylic as there's so much I still want to do. I have some commissions in the pipeline. I also want to try more varied subjects including landscapes and try working on a much larger scale. One day I'll have more time to paint and won't have to fit around full time career commitments.

Jet in Acrylic










No comments:

Post a Comment